#37 - Insight Into An Independent Artist -Sophii Negus
Today’s interview is a little different, a few months ago we had an idea to create a new series on the podcast that follows the progress of one independent artist and their career. We want to check in every month and understand what it’s like being an independent artist in today’s environment. We want to understand their struggles and talk about topics that other singer-songwriters are going through. Fortunately, Sophii Negus - an artist that we’ve worked with in the past - agreed to be our guinea pig.
The following times are estimates.
- 01:40- The premise of this podcast
- 01:51 - Who is Sophii Negus
- 05:00 - Explain the two "ii's"
- 06:14 - Why the 2 year writing break?
- 07:40 - The feeling of not wanting to release music.
- 09:08 - What is the creative process like?
- 10:40 - The reason Sophii wanted to release music to the world.
- 11:50 - Film: August Rush
- 13:35 - Gigs first, or YouTube?
- 14:16 - Feeling of first open mic
- 15:46 - A conscious decision to do music.
- 16:20 - How to balance artistry with life.
- 18:11 - Productivity level
- 19:05 - Releasing a cover a week
- 20:05 - Highest point of Sophii's career so far
- 22:19 - Reflecting on songs
- 23:45 - The lows point of Sophii's career
- 25:45 - The one thing that Sophii needs right now
- 28:15 - Where to find Sophii
Subscribe to the podcast
Click below for more
Our aim is to create opportunities for independent artists to be seen and heard.
Sign up to our mailing list to stay up to date on all the latest news, tips and special offers to help you get noticed.