Episode 23 - Kwame Kwaten
We spoke with Kwame Kwaten about his numerous music-based ventures - from being on the MOBO panel, to touring the country with his band - while still being a top-level manager & keeping an eye out for new talent. We discussed the state of the music industry and how the industry has bounced back from the brink of collapse as well as how young independent artists don't need to be signed to have a successful career anymore.
- 02:45 – Listen to our previous interview
- 03:05 – Going through Kwame's illustrious career
- 05:20 – Annabella Coldrick & MMF
- 09:10 – Kwame's role on the MOBO's panel
- 11:25 – Salute Music Makers
- 11:30 – How Kwame got involved with Salute
- 13:50 – What Salute is all about
- 15:10 – What the winner gets
- 16:20 – The culture of a mentor
- 18: 50 – What's wrong with the current search platforms?
- 20:40 – 4 phases of the competition
- 24:10 – Thinking about your competition
- 27:13 – Kojey Radical
- 28:43 – Having a really good song is important, but it's not everything
- 30: 11 – What Kwame was listening out for when judging 300 songs
- 33:33 – Phase 3 of the competition
- 34:40 – Getting £50,000
- 35:35 – Advice to the winner
- 41:31 – Tech hit the music industry really early
- 43:38 - Failures that set you up for success?
Listen to the interview
Below is one of our favourite podcasts from recent months. We think it's super insightful and can really help a new musician looking for tips or hoping to gain a new understanding of promotion, self-management and music business. Don't forget, you can watch these on the go via iTunes or Stitcher too.
You may also like...
Subscribe to the podcast
Click below for more