Episode 21 - Dee Adam
Episode 21 - We spoke with Dee Adam about her approach towards the curation process for the Salute Music Makers competition. The competition is open for entrants to submit original music - up to four songs - with the winner taking away £50k to contribute to their development. Don't worry - runners up get £10k too. The competition is expertly curated by industry specialists and Dee, a producer and songwriter explains that it's a role she takes very seriously.
Time stamps are rough estimates.
- 01:44 - What do you do?
- 03:11 - How we've met before.
- 04:11 - How Dee is involved with the Salute Music Makers Competition.
- 05:24 - No age limit to the competition
- 06:39 - £50,000 prize money
- 07:24 - What you can do with that money?
- 08:34 - Getting mentorship with the money and building contacts
- 09:22 - How Dee got involved with the competition
- 09:44 - Shannon Saunders
- 11:59 - Not good enough to be just a singer
- 12:34 - What do you need for the competition
- 13:34 - How Dee judges every entry.
- 14:34 - Listening to 500 different songs
- 15:24 - Important to be taking ear breaks.
- 15:54 - What songs stands out for Dee.
- 16:59 - The emotion of singing, it's all about feeling.
- 18:12 - How Dee writes a song.
- 19:04 - How Dee is very critical with lyrics.
- 23:04 - What Dee would do with the money
- 27:53 - Fluid Mastering
- 28:43 - Online PR companies - Dawbell, Weller.
- 29:11 - Organising a tour.
- 29:24 - Getting merchandise sorted out.
- 30:23 - Paying to open for a tour.
- 30:48 - Investing in yourself.
- 31:38 - How to get involved with Salute Music Maker Competition
- 34:51 - Being a woman music producer.
- 36:41 - How the understanding of being a producer opens up many doors.
- 38:53 - Music: Rae Morris
- 39:42 - Book: Kate Bush Autobiography
- 41:35 - Advice Dee was given.
- 43:21 - Failures in life.
- 47:52 - What is a successful artist?
Listen to the interview
Below is one of our favourite podcasts from recent months. We think it's super insightful and can really help a new musician looking for tips or hoping to gain a new understanding of promotion, self-management and music business. Don't forget, you can watch these on the go via iTunes or Stitcher too.
You may also like...
Subscribe to the podcast
Click below for more.